Thursday, August 19, 2010

Success: How I lowered my Blood Pressure

Heart Healthy is High Potassium, Low Sodium & Low Fat - it is that simple...

So, I took everything I learned about the "contributing factors" to high blood pressure (HBP) and made myself a plan of attack to lower my blood pressure.

My Plan:
  1. Walk 1-2 hours per day, briskly with my dogs, 4-5 days a week.
  2. Hike/run 8-14 miles 2-3 days a week (again with my dogs).
  3. Maintain a diet with a "low fat" focus.
  4. Modify my diet so my potassium:sodium ratio was 3:1, at worst, every day (hitting 5:1 or better many days).
The results: after about 2.5 months, my blood pressure measured 113/80 (down from 140/95).

That is, it is working! I've never felt better and the blood pressure keeps declining!

The hardest part of this plan was item #4 - finding a way to increase potassium, lower sodium and maintain a low fat focus. As such, I will devote a lot of space in this blog to 2 topics: (1) recipes for a positive potassium/sodium/fat mix that taste good; (2) lessons on sodium (it's everywhere, not just salt).


Heart Healthy is High Potassium, Low Sodium & Low Fat - it is that simple...

1 comment:

  1. Great! Thanks for the info. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete